Categories of hosting services
A hosting service suggests keeping and/or sharing certain web content on a web hosting server run by a website hosting provider. There are different forms of hosting services used for different ends, so let's take a glance at these. In that way, you can decide what you want, based on whether you'd like to create a blog, email mailbox accounts, or to share files with chums and partners.
- File hosting: a service distributed by some web hosts, which permits you to share big files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its only goal is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a record of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file storage solutions are frequently supported by exhibiting adverts next to the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a particular stretch of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you have a paid file hosting plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limit in regard to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting providers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a totally improper interpretation of the real definition of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would split the workload between independent hosts of hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending different web space hosting services (electronic mail, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, web hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is only a type of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; specific distributors offer a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting brand is appropriate if you desire to share a vast number of images with buddies or colleagues since the solution is usually free of charge. You will obtain a random link for every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a service committed to administering your e-mails. Some corporations provide web site hosting solutions for sites, but do not offer an e-mail hosting service. If you would like to open an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to possess a site, then the email hosting service is what you need. You can open mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a specific video, or you can embed the video file in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of availing of this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video generates a given amount of CPU load, so with a handful of video clips and a few hundred web page viewers, you may have a problem with your web page hosting resources. Embedding the video file will enable you to operate as many video clips as you would like without hassling about system resources.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you require if you wish to keep a website. To some degree, it involves all of the aforementioned hosting sorts since, along with your web sites, you can also host images and files, you can set up databases and email box accounts, upload video files, etc. At Getya Hosting, for example, you can have a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting packages that enable you to have all of the abovementioned services in a single place. There may be restrictions depending on the sort of hosting solution that you've picked - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web page hosting plan may be better or worse compared with the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are purposed for specific web content solely.